Recordation of Estate Property Transfers

Completing court filings in a succession proceeding is just the first step in the legal process to initiate a property transfer of an estate’s assets. An heir to the estate will often wonder – How do I put property in my name?

Once a final judgment is rendered, referred to as a “Judgment of Possession”, certified copies of that document are signed by the District Court Judge. Then the documents must either be recorded in the conveyance or land records office of each parish in which the Deceased owned property.

If an automobile needs to be transferred, the appropriate documents are sent off to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Documents are also presented to each banking and investment institution with which the Deceased maintained accounts.

The Law Firm of Ryan S. McBride makes sure each and every estate asset is properly transferred before a client file is closed.

Free Consultation

If you have any questions about a property transfer or how to put property in your name, please contact our office for a free consultation today.

You can reach us at 504-265-1705 or via our online form.